Jane Haddam
p***@gmail.com
2017-07-26 05:33:09 UTC
She seems to have just disappeared. Her last book, Fighting Chance - 2014, never made it to paperback. I made a short search and found nothing of interest or recent.

Hmm, Pam
Willow
2017-07-26 13:58:43 UTC
I have much enjoyed Haddam's books and also noted the three-year absence. Really too bad as the series has been a favourite. Her books are rarely seen (not once in any bookstore, new or used) in my part of Canada so online only for me...
Mike Burke
2017-07-26 14:08:00 UTC
Post by Willow
I have much enjoyed Haddam's books and also noted the three-year absence.
Really too bad as the series has been a favourite. Her books are rarely
seen (not once in any bookstore, new or used) in my part of Canada so online only for me...
I think Jane is done with the Demarkians, Willow.
Mique
James Nicoll
2017-07-26 14:52:38 UTC
Post by Willow
Post by Willow
I have much enjoyed Haddam's books and also noted the three-year absence.
Really too bad as the series has been a favourite. Her books are rarely
seen (not once in any bookstore, new or used) in my part of Canada so
online only for me...
I think Jane is done with the Demarkians, Willow.
Her blog does not seem to have been updated in years.
My Livejournal at http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
Bookwyrm
2017-07-26 19:08:36 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
She seems to have just disappeared. Her last book, Fighting Chance - 2014, never made it to paperback. I made a short search and found nothing of interest or recent.
Hmm, Pam
She's still on Facebook under her Oriana name.

Bookwyrm

---
http://www.avg.com
p***@gmail.com
2017-07-27 08:37:33 UTC
Post by Bookwyrm
Post by p***@gmail.com
She seems to have just disappeared. Her last book, Fighting Chance - 2014, never made it to paperback. I made a short search and found nothing of interest or recent.
Hmm, Pam
She's still on Facebook under her Oriana name.
Bookwyrm
---
http://www.avg.com
It's Orania and I know about the old RAM group and their Facebook thingy. I just won't do Facebook, because it's so invasive. It's like hey, NSA, Russia, China, the whole world, here I am, look at me!

The thing is has she stopped writing. I wouldn't blame her. She must be exhausted.

That's all I want to know.

Pam
Carol Dickinson
2017-07-27 23:45:24 UTC
Post by p***@gmail.com
She seems to have just disappeared. Her last book, Fighting Chance - 2014, never made it to paperback. I made a short search and found nothing of interest or recent.
Hmm, Pam
She used to be very active on RAM, posting all the time, especially on the political stuff we used to debate. She was on the liberal side of Libertarianism. I was surprised when I came back to not see her at all.

Did she just disappear from us or did she say "Hey, I'm leaving?"

When I left the Airedale group, I at least told them I was going. Of course, from here, I just drifted off because of work and my husband's health. I am glad I came back. But we are nearly are active or rowdy these days. In fact yesterday I was going to make a post but it got too late, and I was thinking, I seem to be one of just a handful that post often.

Does anybody communicate with her outside a group?

Carol
Mike Burke
2017-07-28 01:58:11 UTC
Post by Carol Dickinson
Post by p***@gmail.com
[...]
Some of us still do, occasionally.
Mique
Francis A. Miniter
2017-07-28 02:41:40 UTC
Post by Carol Dickinson
Post by p***@gmail.com
[...]
She started her own blog and left RAM at the same time. I cannot
remember if she said much. I always thought of her political views as
fairly mainstream libertarian, a position with one foot in liberalism
and one foot in conservativism - socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

Francis A. Miniter
Carol Dickinson
2017-07-29 01:40:47 UTC
O I always thought of her political views as
Post by Francis A. Miniter
fairly mainstream libertarian, a position with one foot in liberalism
and one foot in conservativism - socially liberal and fiscally conservative.
Francis A. Miniter
She did claim to be a Libertarian as I remember, but she also claimed all Libertarians leaned liberal, which I found astounding because I do not know a single liberal leaning one. All the ones I know lean right or extreme right, except for Rand Paul who seems to lean left on foreign affairs. Of course, I do not actually "know" him. I always assumed that was because she lives in New England, where conservatives are a minority and I live in Alaska where conservatives have been a vast majority until the price of oil dropped and the significant rise of illegal aliens in our population.

Our libertarians are conservative fiscally, conservative on federalism, on national defense. Conservative on most social issues, but the marijuana lobby considered themselves libertarian. We'll see how the kinks work out on that now that its legal here at the state level. If we see the increased impaired driver problems as they have in the other states, and if we get the consumption on- site policy in place that will be interesting to watch.

I am an independent who would likely choose Libertarian as a party if I was required to, since the Alaska Independence party has died. They were a catchall party, but anti-federalism, which is as close as I can come to a political position. The only requirement to be a candidate in that party was to support secession. Although I do not think it possible nor the BEST solution to our problems, I support the concept that if we were granted certain things as part of statehood we should have them, and we've been waiting my entire adult lifetime for the promises to be met. The AI party was used several times by successful candidates. Walter Hickel used it to defeat a Republican for the Governorship. Sarah Palin used it, can't remember which election.

Although I almost always disagreed with her politically, I miss her because she was very articulate about her reasons for her positions and gave me lots to ponder and research. Never changed my mind with her discussions though.

I don't do blogs.

Carol
p***@gmail.com
2017-07-30 07:40:08 UTC
Post by Francis A. Miniter
[...]
Yes, I've always known about the libertarian politics. Hey, I, too, was part of the old days at RAM. Maybe she's just plain worn out and tired. After all, all those years she was writing, she was also taking care of her mother and mother-in-law and raising her sons and being part of her town, Litchfield. Remember that ugly neighbor who shot their dog? How ugly and awful. On the other hand, she spoke well of the town in general.

Oh, well! I just miss the books.

Pam

OTOH, she's two years younger that me! LOL! We have the same B'day.
Carol Dickinson
2017-07-30 10:05:17 UTC
she was also taking care of her mother and mother-in-law and raising her sons and being part of her town, Litchfield. Remember that ugly neighbor who shot their dog? How ugly and awful. On the other hand, she spoke well of the town in general.

Didn't know all that. Must have been while I was busy doing real life. My sister has that life issue. When her kids were little, she stayed home, and did daycare for the Petroleum Wives Club (lots of rich oil people in her neighborhood.)

Then when the kids were in school, she finished college, had a job, but was the backup caregiver for my son, who was mentally ill and always in trouble with school, the law or institutionalized.

As soon as we got past that she became a caregiver for my Dad (helping Mom 40 miles away, Mom wouldn't let me help) and when Dad passed being Mom's caregiver. The day we buried Mom, her father-in-law died so she then became the caregiver for her mother-in-law (keeping her in her house and holding down a full time job). The mother-in-law just passed on this year, so my sister has been doing this for over a decade.

But now my husband has dementia and I struggle with that having problems diabetes, and severe arthritis so sometimes I need to depend on her too because my son is a mentally ill homeless person, and my brother lives 100 miles away.

So I know the life and can understand burnout. For that matter between my son and my husband I have been a caregiver for 26 years and usually the caregiver passes on before the person they are caring for. I worry about my baby sister doing that.

Seems like a pretty heroic life Jane has been living.

Carol
b***@gmail.com
Did anyone close to you ever criss-cross the state helping out with political campaigns?
Carol Dickinson
2017-08-07 18:28:16 UTC
Post by b***@gmail.com
Post by Carol Dickinson
But now my husband has dementia and I struggle with that having
problems diabetes, and severe arthritis so sometimes I need to
depend on her too because my son is a mentally ill homeless person,
and my brother lives 100 miles away.
Did anyone close to you ever criss-cross the state helping out with political campaigns?
I live in Alaska. Nobody criss-crosses the state, not even the candidates.
If you overlay a map of Alaska on a map of the USA in actual size, the capital is in Georgia , the Diomedes are in California, and Prudhoe Bay is in Minnesota, Nome is in South Dakota, Anchorage is in Missouri. And there aren't any roads. What does that have to do with my life challenges anyway?

Carol
Carol Dickinson
2017-08-07 21:53:28 UTC
Hey, how did my name get mispelled? Can a computer do that?
b***@gmail.com
2017-08-14 10:40:14 UTC
Post by Carol Dickinson
Hey, how did my name get mispelled? Can a computer do that?
No. That must have been me. Sometimes I accidentally erase headers along with other stuff, etc...

Anyway, sounds like a great state to be in. The area reminds me a little of Texas.