Happy 90th, Caroline Crane! (The Girls are Missing, 1980)
Lenona
2020-10-30 16:32:21 UTC
She also writes for teens.

Born in Chicago, the last address I have for her is Wurtsboro, New York.

(Not to be confused with the much younger Carolyn Crane - note the spelling - urban fantasy and romantic suspense novelist.)

Crane: "At age 13, when the war was still in progress, I wrote a novel about
the Nazi occupation of Norway...(my teacher) described it as 'a little far-fetched.' "...

"It seems sometimes as though I have had not one, but two or three writing careers. As a stagestruck teenager, I wrote plays for the sole purpose of producing and acting in them. Years later, when I turned to novels, enough of the teenager must have been left in me so that she was the one who defined my writing. The first six books I wrote, which spanned a publication period of eight years, are novels for young adults. Of those, the first two deal with the theatre. The rest are 'problem' novels, that is, they are concerned with the subjects of teenage marriage, alcoholic parents, and mental retardation.

"Suddenly, everything changed; I was no longer interested in writing for young people. The transition, however, was long and painful.
Apparently, my writing style and way of thinking had not caught up
with my interests. It was another eight years, and almost as many
unpublished manuscripts, before I finally broke through with my first
adult suspense novel, Summer Girl.

"The only things that kept me going during that discouraging era were
the knowledge that I had published before and, therefore, could
probably do it again and the fact that, no matter what else I tried,
from office work to running a home typing service, I could not stop
writing. It is an addiction. It colors my whole life. Whatever I do,
whatever places I visit, always seem to bear a tag that reads: How can
I use this in my writing?"

http://www.carolinecrane.com

http://www.carolinecrane.com/bookstore.php
(includes a few synopses and book covers)

https://carolebugge.wordpress.com/2016/01/11/caroline-crane-author/

From 2016 - excerpt:

"...Now, for the time being, I am back to writing for young adults. My publisher is Fire and Ice, a branch of Melange Books in Minnesota.

"While all this was going on, I married Yoshio Kiyabu, of Okinawan descent and Hawaiian birth. He was a travel agent in New York City, where we lived and raised two children. Now widowed, I live in the Catskill area near my daughter and her family, and I still write for Fire and Ice. Recently I received an email from a fan who begged me to write more adult books. After four more young adult novels that rattle around in my head, I will definitely go back to adult suspense.

"The books I have recently written are a series about two teenage girls who, in an effort to right wrongs, get themselves into perilous situations. In the one I am working on now, the heroine tries to find a little boy she was babysitting for who didn’t come home on the school bus. In the book whose cover is pictured here, she discovers she had a brother she didn’t know about and he is suspected of murder. The body was found in his car."

https://www.fantasticfiction.com/c/caroline-crane/
(more book covers)

Excerpt:

"For nearly four decades, Caroline Crane has thrilled her fans with stories of ordinary lives gone awry. A member of Mystery Writers of America and the American Crime Writers League, Ms. Crane's novels of suspense have appeared as book club selections and have appeared in both American and overseas editions. Her novel Summer Girl was produced as a made-for-TV movie starring Barry Bostwick and Kim Darby."

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/460998.Caroline_Crane
(reader reviews)

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/search/books/?q=caroline%20crane&sf=t
(six Kirkus reviews)

I remember reading one of her early teen novels - "Wedding Song." Here's one reviewer's description: "A 17-year old girl named April moves to a new town with her intellectual family and becomes involved with a young man who is a caretaker for an estate during his college break. They decide to get married but to keep it a secret, since the high school does not allow married students to attend. After they get found out, April gets kicked out of high school and discovers that her youthful marriage isn't all she thought it was going to be."

And "Stranger on the Road" is about a girl torn between her alcoholic
mother and nice but long-absent father. (They live on opposite coasts of the U.S.)

WRITINGS BY THE AUTHOR:
YOUNG ADULT NOVELS

* Pink Sky at Night, Doubleday, 1963.
* Lights down the River, Doubleday, 1964.
* A Girl like Tracy, McKay, 1966.
* Wedding Song, McKay, 1967.
* Don't Look at Me That Way, Random House, 1970.
* Stranger on the Road, Random House, 1971.

ADULT NOVELS

* Summer Girl, Dodd, 1979.
* The Girls Are Missing, Dodd, 1980.
* Coast of Fear, Dodd, 1981.
* Wife Found Slain, Dodd, 1981.
* The Foretelling, Dodd, 1982.
* The Third Passenger, Dodd, 1983.
* Trick or Treat, Dodd, 1983.
* Woman Vanishes, Dodd, 1984.
* Something Evil, Dodd, 1984.
* Someone at the Door, Dodd, 1985.
* Circus Day, Dodd, 1986.
* Man in the Shadows, Dodd, 1987.
* The People Next Door, Dodd, 1988.
* Whispers from Oracle Falls, Avalon, 1991.

Plus a few that are probably for adults:

Night Memories, 1994;
The Love Detective, 1994;
Land of Glory, 2003;
Murder and Mayhem in the Catskills, 2008

Lenona.
Lenona
2020-10-30 16:38:39 UTC
About The Girls are Missing, from Goodreads:

"Before her marriage to Carl Gilwood, life for Joyce, a widow, was filled with hardship. Now she can make a new beginning for herself and her young daughter Gail. Now Gail will have a chance to grow up safe in the suburbs...

"Until two girls are reported missing. Until Gail and her friend, playing one summer afternoon in the woods, make a grisly discovery. Then another missing girl is found murdered.

"The crimes are hideous, the work of a maniac, an irrational killer. His victims could be anybody. So could he. Is he the local wino, or some neighbor hiding behind a façade of respectability? Panic rages. The heat is on Police Chief Frank D'Amico to find the killer before another girl dies. The murders go on. With Carl at work all day, Joyce is left to cope alone. And to wonder. Her life is falling apart. Her family is in danger-from more than just the murders. Then Gail and her playmate disappear..."