Is juvenile writer William MacKellar alive? (Born in 1914)
l***@yahoo.com
2009-01-08 00:41:23 UTC
Unlikely, of course, but I can find no evidence he's not with us.

He was born in Glasgow, moved to the U.S. at age 11, and a lot of his
books seem to have Scottish themes.

The last address I have for him is West Hartford, Connecticut.

WRITINGS BY THE AUTHOR:

The Mystery of the Ruined Abbey, McGraw, 1954.
Kickoff, McGraw, 1955.
Danger in the Mist, McGraw, 1956.
The Team That Wouldn't Quit, McGraw, 1957.
Wee Joseph, McGraw, 1957.
Two for the Fair, McGraw, 1958.

A Very Small Miracle, Crown, 1969.
Mound Menace, Follett, 1969.

The Mystery of Mordach Castle, Follett, 1970.

Published by McKay:

A Goal for Greg, 1958.

Ghost in the Castle, 1960.
A Dog Like No Other, 1965.
A Place by the Fire, 1966.
The Secret of the Dark Tower, 1967.
Score: A Baker's Dozen Sports Stories, 1967.
The Smallest Monster in the World, 1969.

Secret of the Sacred Stone, 1970.
A Ghost around the House, 1970.

Published by Dodd:

The Ghost of Grannoch Moor, 1973.
Alfie and Me and the Ghost of Peter Stuyvesant, 1974.
The Cat That Never Died, 1976.
The Kid Who Owned Manhattan Island, 1976.
Witch of Glen Gowrie, 1978.
The Silent Bells, 1978.
The Soccer Orphans, 1979.

Kenny and the Highland Ghost, 1980.
Terror Run, 1983.
A Dog Called Porridge, 1985.

Lenona.
Bud
2009-01-08 18:43:56 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Unlikely, of course, but I can find no evidence he's not with us.
XX<
Lenona.
According to my library, he is alive. Well? dunno.
Bud
c***@gmail.com
2017-08-31 22:07:10 UTC
According to Goodreads:

William MacKellar
Born in Glasgow, Lanarkshire, Scotland, The United Kingdom January 01, 1914
Died July 10, 1994

William MacKellar was born in Glasgow, Scotland. His family relocated to America when he was eleven years old. He and his family resided on Long Island. He attended New York University and University of Geneva in Switzerland. MacKellar later served in the U.S. Army Signal Corps during World War II. After the war, he had the opportunity to return to his native Scotland. There he received inspiration for many of his later books, such as The Witch of Glen Gowrie. Along with authoring twenty-nine books for children and young adults, MacKellar taught courses in creative writing and conducted many literary workshops. He resided in West Hartford, Connecticut, until his death in 1994.
l***@yahoo.com
2017-09-11 18:10:53 UTC
Thank you. Sounds right.

However, I NEVER trust relatively minor sources that claim that someone was born on January 1st. That's usually a way of saying "we don't really know and/or we were lazy."

Contemporary Authors says he was born on February 20th, 1914. (Granted, that library database is not always reliable either - there's no death date even though they supposedly updated his record in 2002.)

Lenona.
Francis A. Miniter
2017-09-12 02:15:30 UTC
Post by l***@yahoo.com
Thank you. Sounds right.
However, I NEVER trust relatively minor sources that claim that someone was born on January 1st. That's usually a way of saying "we don't really know and/or we were lazy."
Contemporary Authors says he was born on February 20th, 1914. (Granted, that library database is not always reliable either - there's no death date even though they supposedly updated his record in 2002.)
Lenona.
William MacKellar died in July, 1994, at Hartford Hospital, in Hartford,
Connecticut.

See the obituary in the Hartford Courant:
http://articles.courant.com/1994-07-12/news/9407120244_1_books-italy-and-france-northeast-children-s-literature-collections

Francis A. Miniter