Mortimer, Rumpole and the Reign of Terror
Francis A. Miniter
2007-01-25 03:56:43 UTC
This is a novel dealing with terrorism. But the terrorism that Rumpole fears
here is not the bomb blast in the subway but the deprivation of rights that the
government believes will somehow help them land terrorists in prison. So,
Rumpole is asked by woman of the Timpson clan to help her find her husband, a
medical doctor from Pakistan, who was whisked away by people claiming to be
government authorities. Finding him is hard enough, getting to him with notepad
in hand is near impossible, and learning why he is being held is wholly
impossible. The government wishes to present its evidence without Rumpole or
his client in the room, and they have brushed aside the law against hearsay, and
of course, made disclosure of informants impossible, in the belief that
terrorists would take vengeance on the sources.

On top of this, he has to fight public opinion in the shape of She Who Must Be
Obeyed, who tells him that the good doctor must have done something wrong. Why
else would the government have arrested him???

Mortimer uses humor to take the edge off a very uncomfortable subject. And he
accomplishes his goal well. A good read.

Francis A. Miniter
WareWolf
2007-01-27 00:34:21 UTC
Post by Francis A. Miniter
[...]
I MUST read this.

D.
--
THE DEVIL'S RIGHT HAND and GOOD DAY IN HELL by J.D. (Dusty) Rhoades,
from St. Martin's/Minotaur.
BREAKING COVER, coming 2008
Anne Sullivan
2007-01-27 03:35:51 UTC
Post by WareWolf
Post by Francis A. Miniter
[...]
I was lucky enough to find it on the new book shelf at the library last month, so
I've already read it. Francis hits it on the nose. And it's got all the usual
Rumpole
humor.

Anne in Arizona
Annie C
2007-01-28 18:37:29 UTC
"Anne Sullivan" <***@cox.net> wrote in message news:zMzuh.4208$***@newsfe22.lga...

| "WareWolf" <***@nc.rr..com> wrote in message
| > In article <***@kcnews01>, ***@attglobalZZ.net says...
| >> This is a novel dealing with terrorism. But the terrorism that Rumpole
fears
| >> here is not the bomb blast in the subway but the deprivation of rights
that the
| >> government believes will somehow help them land terrorists in prison.
So,
| >> Rumpole is asked by woman of the Timpson clan to help her find her
husband, a
| >> medical doctor from Pakistan, who was whisked away by people claiming
to be
| >> government authorities. Finding him is hard enough, getting to him
with notepad
| >> in hand is near impossible, and learning why he is being held is wholly
| >> impossible. The government wishes to present its evidence without
Rumpole or
| >> his client in the room, and they have brushed aside the law against
hearsay, and
| >> of course, made disclosure of informants impossible, in the belief that
| >> terrorists would take vengeance on the sources.
| >>
| >> On top of this, he has to fight public opinion in the shape of She Who
Must Be
| >> Obeyed, who tells him that the good doctor must have done something
wrong. Why
| >> else would the government have arrested him???
| >>
| >> Mortimer uses humor to take the edge off a very uncomfortable subject.
And he
| >> accomplishes his goal well. A good read.
| >>

| >> Francis A. Miniter
| >>

| > I MUST read this.
| >
| > D.
|
| I was lucky enough to find it on the new book shelf at the library last
month, so
| I've already read it. Francis hits it on the nose. And it's got all the
usual
| Rumpole
| humor.
|
| Anne in Arizona

So very glad you've mentioned this new Rumpole...
Additions to this series are always a cause for celebration...and this one
sounds particularly intriguing and timely.
Thanks, Francis..

Annie
k***@gmail.com
2020-06-13 03:59:24 UTC
Post by Francis A. Miniter
[...]
There is a so-so dramatization of Reign of Terror in the collection Rumpole and the Teenaged Werewolf, which is available on Audiobooks. Although the actors are adequate, the script is severely edited from the original and the direction is moribund. There may be other audio narrations or dramatizations of these stories, which are very enjoyable, especially Reign of Terror. Teenaged Weerewolf is solved before it begins.